Sunday, January 10, 2010

2009: Shows and Movies

My friend Schuyler (who a lot of people hate because he told me the truth about lesbians), saw 105 shows last year. This was down from 127 the previous year. After he told me, I was inspired to learn the number of shows I saw in 2009. It turns out it was 27. This is up from 15 in 2008 and only 4 in 2007. I've taken the liberty of fitting Schuyler and my data in the accompanying graph, to determine when I will surpass him in number of shows seen. From my calculations, it looks like I will temporarily pass him in 2011 only to permanately take the lead in 2014.

So what did I see? Below is the color coded list. I've placed the shows in order from best to worst as well as generally categorized them as boring(brown), incomprehensible (grey), mildly entertaining (green), very good (blue) and euphoria inducing (purple). Beneath the theater list, as an added bonus, is the corresponding movie list for 2009. These are only the movies I saw in theaters, but that's mostly where I watch movies anyways.

Needless to say, if you see a show or movie that I went to see with you and wonder why I put it so far down on the list, it was probably because your poor company ruined the experience for me. :)




Theater:
1.) Next Fall (which is coming to Broadway this Spring)
2.) Circle Mirror Transformation

3.) Billy Elliot
4.) Hurricane
5.) Next to Normal

6.) Hair

7.) West Side Story
8.) Wicked
9.) The Norman Conquests: Living Together

10.) The Norman Conquests: Table Manners

11.) Why Torture is Wrong and the People Who Love Them

12.) Ragtime

13.) Penny Pennyworth

14.) The Late Christopher Bean

15.) Coraline

16.) Chicago
17.) The Lion King

18.) Loaded

19.) Idiot Savant

20.) Newsical the Musical

21.) Fantasy Football: The Musical

22.) Blithe Spirit

23.) Exit the King
24.) After Miss Julie
25.) This

26.) The Retributionists

27.) The Philanthropist


Movies:
1.) Slumdog Millionaire
2.) Where the Wild Things Are

3.) In the Loop
4.) Dare

5.) Inglourious Basterds
6.) District 9
7.) The Red Shoes
8.) Treeless Mountain
9.) Still Walking
10.) Gomorrah
11.) Waltz With Bashir
12.) Avatar

13.) Star Trek
14.) The Class

15.) Milk
16.) The Headless Woman

1 comment:

Runi said...

I just read your blog after such a long time. I'm happy that Billy Eliot is on the top of the list! since i got to go see it with you.