Saturday, May 31, 2008

The People of State College Part Two: Friendly Janitor

On the second day I got to State College I met my building's janitor.  She is a very interesting person.  She talks to me often.  She told me her janitor cart is her desk and that if anybody wanted anything on it they should come to  her and not take it.  This makes sense to me.  However, she snagged me as I was walking in the hallway to tell me this and she spent fifteen minutes to say it.  Before I had never looked at her cart or considered stealing from it, but now I am always tempted.  

She told me about the upcoming arts festival in state college.  She said one time she saw some well crafted dolls that she mistook for people at it.  She thought they were in line at a booth so she didn't go up to that booth.  

She has worked here many years and was almost certainly here when my research advisor in New York used to be in this department.  She does not provide for as many funny stories as some of the other people I've met here but she is still cool.  I prefer her to the janitors at Columbia.  She's friendly  to the students.  She doesn't sit hiding in an empty classroom for half the morning either.

1 comment:

francpotatoll said...

I found out that she was here at the same time. She wants me to say hi to Dr. Kumar. She told me his wife is an artist.