Saturday, June 7, 2008

Movie Review: Baby Mama

The Chinese post doc in my lab loaned me a bike for the weekend. I spent the afternoon roaming around campus (including the surrounding farmland owned by PSU). In the evening I went to go see Baby Mama. It was nice traveling to the movie theater by bike.

I didn't go to the same theater as before but it was still far. The attendants were much more pleasant. They let me store my bike in their supply closet. The ticket was a regular size and they tore off part of it when I went in the theater. Unfortunately, the air conditioning was broken in Baby Mama's theater. One of the attendants explained to me that this happens a lot at Carmike theaters which she has worked in all over the state.

The movie itself was very funny. I love Tina Fey! Through humor she makes me care about problems that females face. Well... not really, scratch that, actually. But I would still recommend Baby Mama.

After the movie, the closet door was open and my bike was waiting for me. The theater staff took good care of me.

I had to ride my bike back in the dark. It was dangerous. But I live for danger so I was down with it. Halfway back there was not enough space on the right shoulder of the road for safety, so I crossed over to the left shoulder. If it were up to me I would live my life with reckless abandon, but I cannot disappoint my adoring masses. Being on the left shoulder meant I was blinded every time a car passed. I wondered what they thought of me. They must have thought I was crazy doing something so dangerous. To prove I wasn't I decided to look the next driver straight in the face. Of course the glaring headlights prevented me from seeing any faces but when the next car passed I stared straight where I thought one should be and didn't look away. And then a thought occurred to me. If I couldn't see a driver, maybe there wasn't one. All of these cars might be driven by phantoms. This really scared me. At this moment the trees on the side of the road creeped right up to the edge and I felt sure something was going to jump out at me.

A few minutes later the sounds of drunken college students alerted me I was back in downtown State College. I think next time I'll go see a matinee.

No comments: