Monday, June 9, 2008

Movie Review: The Counterfeiters

This movie was very good. I was captivated throughout. It tells the story of an expert Jewish counterfeiter imprisoned by the Nazis. They use him and a team of printers and craftsmen to counterfeit the dollar and pound and try and bankrupt the allies. He and his fellow prisoners are treated very well for being prisoners in a Nazi concentration camp and this is a source of internal conflict for some of them.

Maybe I am demented, but sometimes I think I'm missing out on life because I have never been tested. I know the experiences that Jews faced in concentration camps were unimaginably terrible, but experiences like those are what determine what type of people we are. I wonder how I would act if I were living under a fascist regime. Would I resist on principle, even if I could live safely by following the crowd. I think I could die for a cause. But I don't know how much pain I could suffer. I got a sunburn this week and whenever it touches the back of a chair I wince and reflect on my weakness.

No comments: