Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The People of State College Part Eleven: Driveby Bigot

Life is fun on a bike.

So I headed to Giant tonight to pick up groceries. It's ten times the size of West Side Market and empty. The way there is downhill and I was cruising and generally having a blast. Halfway there a passing motorist stuck his head out the window and yelled "faggot."

Let's analyze this. To be fair I was riding a girl's bike, head banging to a Bonnie Tyler song, wearing a striped polo shirt, and intending to buy soy milk in the near future. Assuming he knew all these things (unlikely) then his comment may have had some merit. I am reluctant to cut him any slack though as he couldn't even muster a manly persona. His voice was high pitched and nasally as well as barely audible. His car was a Toyata! Frankly he was a disgrace to bigots everywhere.

I've come to a few possible conclusions about his poor performance. Maybe Pennsylvania has so few minorities that he never got any practice.

Or maybe he was gay himself and he wasn't trying to insult me but was rather asking a question, "faggot?" We may never know the truth.

When I got to the grocery store I bought some bing cherries to remind me of tolerant California, where gay marriage will soon be the law. I brought them back to PSU and I am eating them as I type this, even though the sign in front of me clearly says "The no food or drinks in this lab signs are meant for everyone! No matter who please respect the lab." Take that, close-minded small town America!

No comments: